BROCK LESNAR INFORMS THE UFC OF HIS RETIREMENT FROM MMA BY DAVE MELTZER | @davemeltzerwon | FEB 14, 2017 3:45 PM
While nobody has said anything publicly, Marc Raimondi of MMA Fighting reported today that Brock Lesnar told the UFC that he was retiring from mixed martial arts.
The story used Ryan Madden of USADA as a source in saying that Lesnar voluntarily removed himself from the UFC's drug testing program. Lesnar's name was quietly removed last week from the UFC's active roster.
Lesnar, 39, is currently under both a Nevada and USADA suspension after testing positive for Clomiphene. By being active, he was open to continual drug tests by USADA, even while suspended. Two suspended fighters in recent weeks were tested and failed tests once again.
What this means is that if Lesnar was to change his mind, he would have to sign with the company, and then be open for a minimum of four months of drug testing before he would be allowed to fight.
The fact Lesnar remained open to drug testing until recently seemed to indicate an interest in fighting. But this move, as he goes into his most active run as a pro wrestler since his return five years ago, indicates he's no longer interested in fighting after his suspension ends in July.
Lesnar defeated Mark Hunt via decision at UFC 200, but the result was overturned to a no contest because Lesnar had failed two drug tests, one before the fight and one the night of the fight.