Post by The Ultimate Nullifier on May 22, 2015 16:02:15 GMT -6
We noted yesterday that in a recent interview, hardcore legend Sabu said he had no interest in being a WWE Hall of Famer. In another portion of his interview with WrestleTalkTV, Sabu elaborated on the success and eventual downfall of ECW.
Sabu explicitly said in the interview that he didn't think ECW's matches were good, but they were good beatings. He thinks that the taboo nature of the company's content is what set it apart and made it a popular brand.
"We were doing everything you weren't supposed to," Sabu explained. "We were swearing, we were using objects in every match, we were bleeding on TV. They started having angles that were so far fetched and outrageous, and of course the matches were outrageous. We weren't having good matches, they were good beatings."
When asked about ECW's closure, Sabu said that former owner Paul Heyman tried to point the finger at him and his departure as a reason the company went out of business, even to the point of suing him. Sabu said leaving hurt the company, but nobody was getting paid.
"Paul Heyman tried to sue me and said it was because of me leaving the company that it hurt the company so bad it went out of business, which I believe, but it was going out of business. I wasn't getting paid, neither was anybody else," Sabu said.
You can see Sabu's full comments in the video above.